48123 Posts in 3775 Topics - by 1688 Members - Latest Member: Doopdog124

Author Topic: Lone Survivor  (Read 2118 times)

Offline gunfather6

• Global Moderator
  • If you want peace, prepare for war
    • View Profile
Lone Survivor
« on: January 13, 2014, 07:43:31 AM »
I saw this movie last night.  It was a very powerful film.  It was as good as Black Hawk Down.  Any film that leaves the audience sitting in silence at the end is worth the trip.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/104618513459138900174/104618513459138900174/videos

Offline Green

• MWM Moderators
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Survivor
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
I'm anxious to see it myself.  I'll probably have to wait until it comes out on Blu Ray.

Offline BOSSMAN

• View Profile
    • BOSSMAN's Tech Service
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 12:27:23 PM »
It's a good movie. I don't agree that it's as good as Black Hawk down, but it is very moving. I'll give it that. I highly recommend you read the book if you haven't yet.
The older we get, the further we get from what we think we are.
BF3 Stats

Offline scout penguin

• The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
I'm reading the book right now, got it on Saturday.  Hoping to see the movie tomorrow.
You have never lived until you have almost died.
For those who have fought for it,
Life has a flavor
The protected will never know.

--SOG motto

Offline GhillieSuitHeroes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
I'm with Gun. To compare this with Black Hawk Down or even Saving Private Ryan isn't a stretch. It definitely brings the emotional aspect of warfare into perspective in a way that no other movie about Afghanistan has.
This is not one that should be waited on for Blu Ray. If you can see it, do.
Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong.  - John G. Diefenbaker
-OP:Yellow Jacket; Green team- squad 5

[Four-Seven-Zero]

Offline Green

• MWM Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »
I'm with Gun. To compare this with Black Hawk Down or even Saving Private Ryan isn't a stretch. It definitely brings the emotional aspect of warfare into perspective in a way that no other movie about Afghanistan has.
This is not one that should be waited on for Blu Ray. If you can see it, do.

Movies at home are far better than those in a theater.  The only annoying kids I have to deal with are my own.  It's gotten to the point where I can't stand to go to a theater because they're full of disrespectful kids.

Offline moses

• GOAA Game Planners
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »
The secret Green is to go to the Marcus Theater $5 movie showings on Tuesday.  Both movies I have seen were two weeks after premiere but were cheaper, and hardly anyone there.  I would say less then 15 other people each time.
Rifles: Echo 1 G36c, Classic Army M-15, WE G39c, VFC 416, VFC 416, ICS M4, Zombie Killer M4
Pistols: KSC G19, KWA G17 (2), KWA G18c (2),  WE Sword Cutlass, Socom Gear 1911 MEU
Projects: Zombie Killer II, DD M4

Offline Green

• MWM Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 07:37:57 AM »
Noted

Offline junior sniper

• yar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 07:46:28 AM »
CLEAR!!

Saw this movie a few days before it came out (He had a hookup with a version) with a bunch of guys. One of them used to be in Communications and he couldnt stop talking about how he needed to "Climb a fu#$*#@ tree to get signal. "In Camp Lejeune I don't know how many times I had to climb a tree just to get signal on a sat phone, it was insane"

Good movie, but now I see it all the time because its always playing at the community center since there's so of marines here straight out of bootcamp and infantry school that hang out there.
Nurse I spy gypsies, run!
Lance Corporal CORPORAL in the United States Marine Corps
First game  June 24 2006.

Offline tsuchinoko

• I talk too much so...call me Preacher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
I too am with gun, i have enormous amounts of respect for all our servicemen and women, and public servants (thank you gun, and all servicemen and women, and those ones who play with us and arent here with us today,  for all the work you do keeping us safe!) and these guys are no exception, all of them, not just Luttrell, went "above and beyond the call of duty", not only because they knew they were outnumbered, but because at one point, they all knew it would most likely end up being a suicide mission. HOWEVER, the movie is WRONG on some aspects. Can you believe Hollywood would do that? Oh wait, they almost always do! Here, taken from the book and an interview with Luttrell himself, are some things that were exaggerated by hollywood: The number of enemy fighters that ambushed the four SEALs (Lt. Mike Murphy, Hospital Corpsman 2nd Class Marcus Luttrell, Gunner's Mate 2nd Class Danny Dietz, and Sonar Technician 2nd Class Matt Axelson) is the most frequently contended aspect of the book. In the Lone Survivor movie, the SEALs are ambushed by approximately 50 Taliban fighters. However, the book asserts that the Taliban fighters consisted of between "80 and 200 armed men." Dozens of articles on the internet say that in his own After Action Report (AAR), Marcus Luttrell estimated that the team was attacked by 20 to 35 enemy fighters (Anti-Coalition Militia). The issue here is that none of the writers of these articles have actually seen the AAR report, which doesn't seem to exist online. Most refer back to the articles of journalist and author Ed Darack, who released a competing book titled Victory Point.

However, Lieutenant Michael Murphy's official Medal of Honor citation states that "between 30 and 40 enemy fighters besieged his four-member team," which is significantly lower than the Lone Survivor book. Murphy's Summary of Action report posted on the Navy's website lists a slightly higher number but still in the same range, referring to an "enemy force of more than 50 anti-coalition militia." This more closely corroborates the movie, in addition to the claims made about Luttrell's After Action Report. It stands as evidence that the number of enemy combatants was likely exaggerated for the book. (http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/lone-survivor.php)

I reccomend reading the whole article in the link, as it gives a more enlightened and a more accurate view.
Just my thoughts and opinions! And again, Thanks gun and all the servicemen and women out there reading this! Be safe and thank you!
“If this keeper were a bank he’d be shut down, the savings he’s offering are terrible” – Andy Gray

Offline Airdale

• 1.Bring a gun 2.Bring all friends who have guns.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »
Who cares.  At best they were outnumbered 5 to 1.  At worst 50 to 1. Either way, they put up a fight against a numerically superior force, and one of them lived to tell the tale. Thats a testament to their skills and bravery.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:47:23 PM by Airdale »
An unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

Offline tsuchinoko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 09:39:57 PM »
Im not saying that its bad, but who cares? I do! I prefer accuracy over movie value, unlike most of the movie going community, i am there to see the movie AND see how realistic the movie is, mostly to see how realistic it is and how wrong hollywood got it. Im not saying they werent brave, Im also not saying theyre not skilled, but still, yes its a testament to both those things, however, I would rather hear it realistically, which, if my math is correct (its probably, im bad at math) they were only outnumbered around 3 to1 or 2.5 to 1. The way hollywood tells it, in my opinion, is a disgrace to everyone involved in Operation Red Wings because of how wrong it is, he "wasnt near death" (those are his words in the book, not mine), the last scene with the village battle never actually happened, it was added by hollywood for production value, the villager never actually walked to a base, a radio was airdropped into the village and Marcus used it to call for an extract, and much more. Yes, theyre brave, skillful, good fighters, good people, smart, and whatever other adjectives you want to use to describe them, but i want realism, thats all im trying to say Airdale.
“If this keeper were a bank he’d be shut down, the savings he’s offering are terrible” – Andy Gray

Offline Green

• MWM Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 10:37:11 AM »
Im not saying that its bad, but who cares? I do! I prefer accuracy over movie value, unlike most of the movie going community, i am there to see the movie AND see how realistic the movie is, mostly to see how realistic it is and how wrong hollywood got it. Im not saying they werent brave, Im also not saying theyre not skilled, but still, yes its a testament to both those things, however, I would rather hear it realistically, which, if my math is correct (its probably, im bad at math) they were only outnumbered around 3 to1 or 2.5 to 1. The way hollywood tells it, in my opinion, is a disgrace to everyone involved in Operation Red Wings because of how wrong it is, he "wasnt near death" (those are his words in the book, not mine), the last scene with the village battle never actually happened, it was added by hollywood for production value, the villager never actually walked to a base, a radio was airdropped into the village and Marcus used it to call for an extract, and much more. Yes, theyre brave, skillful, good fighters, good people, smart, and whatever other adjectives you want to use to describe them, but i want realism, thats all im trying to say Airdale.

Good thing I managed to stay out of this thread and avoid your spoilers until AFTER I saw the movie.

I finally got to watch this last night.  GREAT movie!

Offline rcknrllmthrfckr

• It's Rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
Behind Enemy Lines 4 LYFE!!!

Nos Habitum Pulsus
I have an M203 with a nerf rocket system and I would like to know what are the rules on that? if I shoot it into a building does it kill the entire room? and what if I shoot it outside? what about vehicle kills with it? please let me know. thank you

Contra

Offline tsuchinoko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
One bump to rock... Bump!